pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Gary Grosso <gary.gro...@oberontech.com>
Subject RE: How to make the PDF document open with the Navigation Pane open?
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2015 02:07:11 GMT
Hi everyone,

I very much appreciate Maruan's reply (thanks Maruan), but our customer is suggesting there
should be some other way to do this.

The reasoning is as follows:

Using Acrobat, it is possible to go to File->Properties and then to the Initial View tab;
set the Navigation tab value to Bookmarks Panel and Page, and save the file. After which this
PDF file opens with the navigation pane open, and the bookmarks displayed.

It is possible to view a small PDF file before and after this procedure was performed, at:

http://aapro.net/bookmarktest/

The end users will be opening PDF files in Internet Explorer, but the experience is basically
the same when I open them in Reader.

I would be very interested in any insight anyone can provide. While I was able to add bookmarks
to a PDF file (with help from this forum), I don't have any tools or expertise for examining
the insides of a PDF file, to find out what is different between these two files.

Thanks,
Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: Maruan Sahyoun [mailto:sahyoun@fileaffairs.de]
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 12:33 PM
To: users@pdfbox.apache.org
Subject: Re: How to make the PDF document open with the Navigation Pane open?

Hi,

it's not part of the Viewer Preferences so can not be set in the PDF directly. You could inject
a JavaScript which is executed when the document opens. As short sample for such JavaScript
is available in the examples package for PDFBox 2.0.0 under org.apache.pdfbox.examples.interactive.form.UpdateFieldOnDocumentOpen.

The issue with executing menu items is that this is a restricted function so it might be available
if the PDF is not certified. Lookup the function execMenuItem in the Acrobat SDK JavaScript
Reference.

BR
Maruan

> Am 21.10.2015 um 18:17 schrieb Gary Grosso <gary.grosso@oberontech.com>:
>
> I am looking for a way to say in a PDF document that it should open with the Navigation
Pane open. Not sure if this is even possible; it may strictly be a user preference.