pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Tilman Hausherr <THaush...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Speedup Font Cache
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2015 17:24:33 GMT
Am 21.10.2015 um 18:43 schrieb Maruan Sahyoun:
> Hi,
>
>> Am 21.10.2015 um 18:40 schrieb Tilman Hausherr <THausherr@t-online.de>:
>>
>> Am 21.10.2015 um 14:10 schrieb Roberto Nibali:
>>> Hi John

>>> The whole issue also happens on MacOSX. When you introduce this on-disk
>>> cache a couple of months back, it worked fine, however one of the recent
>>> changes to SVN must have wrecked the initially intended functionality. Not
>>> only is the font caching setup 5-10 times as long as it used to be, it also
>>> does not seem to persist it anymore. Version used:
>>>
>>> $ svn info | grep -i changed
>>> Last Changed Author: tilman
>>> Last Changed Rev: 1709647
>>> Last Changed Date: 2015-10-20 19:04:02 +0200 (Tue, 20 Oct 2015)
>>>
>>> Running my test tool indicates:
>>>
>>> Oct 21, 2015 2:08:29 PM
>>> org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.FileSystemFontProvider loadCache
>>> WARNING: New fonts found, font cache will be re-built
>>> Oct 21, 2015 2:08:29 PM
>>> org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.FileSystemFontProvider <init>
>>> WARNING: Building font cache, this may take a while
>>> Oct 21, 2015 2:08:39 PM
>>> org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.FileSystemFontProvider saveCache
>>> WARNING: Finished building font cache, found 654 fonts
>>> [INFO, ctx=./ccalt.pdf]: Opening Source ./ccalt.pdf
>>> [INFO, ctx=./ccalt.pdf]: Opening Template ./cctemp.pdf
>>> [INFO, ctx=./ccalt.pdf]: Writing Output ./ccmig.pdf
>>> [INFO, ctx=./ccalt.pdf]: Completed in 15037.02ms
>>>
>>> This used to be anything between 1200ms and 2300ms and once it was
>>> persisted onto disk, it was rather fast in subsequent calls. Unfortunately,
>>> SVN does not provide the handy tool of "git bisect" to quickly find out
>>> which change actually caused this regression.
>> There were only 4 changes since then, so it might be worth a try to just revert that
file.

>> (I can't help; for me, it has always been slow.)
>>
>> Could it be that 1) you installed new stuff on your computer, 2) that MacOS has many
of its fonts in .ttc files? In Windows there are only 10.
> on my OS X I have 92 ttc files (out of 384) :-)

Oh. I forgot to mention why I asked that. My last change ignores ttc
files in the cache, even deletes them, because the cache is one file =>
one ttf font, this resulted in ttf fonts being ignored the second time.
So these ttc files would be parsed each time.

Tilman