pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Pascal Burkhardt <pascalburkha...@mail.de>
Subject Re: Speedup Font Cache
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2015 14:41:23 GMT
Hi John,

thanks for reply.

It sounds like there is a problem to read from the saved file, because
this log-message is previous: "java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>
- WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs
at root 0x80000002. Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5."

I run the app from eclipse during development.

Thanks so far,
Pascal

Am 20.10.2015 um 16:15 schrieb John Hewson:
> Hi, Pascal,
>
> There’s no way to disable the cache as PDFBox needs to examine each font on the system
before it can perform font substitution. However, the cache should be saved to disk but it
if you’re seeing that message each time you’re running PDFBox then it sounds like either
the cache write has failed or you’re running in an ephemeral environment, such as a Docker
container. Are either of these likely to be true?

> Just to provide a little more detail: the cache contains metadata for every font on the
system and is persisted to disk precisely because it’s too slow for PDFBox to examine every
system font every time its initialised. If the cache is not persisted, you pay that full time
cost each time you use PDFBox.

> — John
>
>> On 20 Oct 2015, at 06:49, Pascal Burkhardt <pascalburkhardt@mail.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i upgrade from 1.8.10 to 2.0.0-RC1.
>>
>> When i start to create a pdf with pdfbox 2.0.0-RC1 now the log-message appears: "WARNING:
Building font cache, this may take a while". To Create a Font Cache it takes quite a long
time...(2-3sec.). To create a simple pdf-page this is quite long...

>> Is there a way to disable the font cache or to speed up this process? Can i load
the font cache on startup of my application, so that when a user requests a pdf it renders
quickly (and do not have to init the cache?) or is there another possibility?