pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: Problems getting the height of text in v2?
Date Mon, 26 Oct 2015 07:33:26 GMT
Hi,

> Am 26.10.2015 um 06:36 schrieb Joel Hirsh <joelehirsh@gmail.com>:
>
> I am trying to get the size of text (i.e fontsize).  In version 1.8, the
> height of text was somewhat inconsistent, and not there for type 3 fonts,
> but I thought that was supposed to be all sorted out in v2.0.  But version
> 2 seems to be even more inconsistent than version 1.8.
>
> I am using PDFTextStripper and reading the TextPosition array that comes
> with each String.  I have tried getHeight(), getFontSize(),
> getFontSizeInPt(), getYScale, and none of them are dependable for a useful
> answer.  They are consistent within a file, but useless for checking if a
> particular string contains readable size text.

maybe take a look at PrintTextLocations.java in the examples package. This should allow you
to compare the output of the 1.8.x version to the 2.0.0 version.

> Which one of these TextPosition values should be used for this purpose
> And then do I report bugs on all the files that don't give correct results?

If there are differences between 1.8.x and 2.0.0 yes please open an issue in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX/.

Please look if there are already similar issues which you could add to. We are currently working
together with Apache TIKA to look at potential regressions in 2.0.0 compared to 1.8.x and
there were already some issues created and fixed  created which you can follow at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-3058.

BR
Maruan