pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Mark Haller <mhal...@visiblehealth.com>
Subject FilterOutputStream.close() bug called twice resulting in downstream error
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2015 17:58:01 GMT
Java 8 bug uncovered, and wondering if the PDFBox team would be willing to
work around it?  You should probably reply with an emphatic "no", butI
figure it is worth a shot.

Here is the openjdk bug:  https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8054565

PDDocument.saveIncremental(OutputStream) calls close() twice - once in
try{} and once in finally{}, relying on the Closable contract which says it
will do nothing if the stream is already close.

But, we see this:

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Closed LOB
    at
oracle.jdbc.driver.DatabaseError.SQLToIOException(DatabaseError.java:519)
    at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleBlobOutputStream.ensureOpen(OracleBlobOutputStream.java:231)
    at
oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleBlobOutputStream.flush(OracleBlobOutputStream.java:167)
    at java.io.FilterOutputStream.flush(FilterOutputStream.java:140)
    at java.io.FilterOutputStream.close(FilterOutputStream.java:158)
    at org.apache.pdfbox.pdfwriter.COSWriter.close(COSWriter.java:300)
    at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDDocument.save(PDDocument.java:1366)
    at ourpackage.util.pdf.PdfDRM.applyDRM(PdfDRM.java:225)
    at
ourpackage.db.liquibase.customchanges.IQMDxContentLoader.applyDrmToCesPdfDocumentInDatabase(IQMDxContentLoader.java:383)
    at
ourpackage.db.liquibase.customchanges.IQMDxContentLoader.applyZippedCesDocumentChangesToDatabase(IQMDxContentLoader.java:265)
    at
ourpackage.db.liquibase.customchanges.IQMDxContentLoader.generateStatements(IQMDxContentLoader.java:153)
    ... 33 more

Because Java 8's FilterOutputStream.close() is calling flush() on the
second close and Oracle's driver code doesn't like that.

The bug can be worked around it by implementing close() in
COSStandardOutputStream as below:

        private boolean closed;

        @Override
        public void close() throws IOException
        {
                try (OutputStream ostream = out)
                {
                        if (!closed)
                                flush();
                }
                closed = true;
        }

I've done this in our project code base, by cloning and owning
COSStandardOutputStream and adding it to our classpath first.  Not ideal.

Also, mailing list thread on openjdk that recognizes the bug
http://marc.info/?t=141767408700004&r=1&w=2.  Although, it is fixed in Java
9 with no plan of backporting.  Not sure how to request a backport, but
that would be the ideal solution.

--
Mark Haller
mhaller@visiblehealth.com