pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: Best way to deal with NULL PDAcroForm fields
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2015 17:37:32 GMT
Hi,

> Am 08.09.2015 um 18:38 schrieb Kevin Ternes <KTernes@thegeneral.com>:
>
> 1.8.10

of them throw NullPointerExceptions from line PDAcroForm.getField(), line 291:

>> 287: COSArray fields =
>> 288:    (COSArray) acroForm.getDictionaryObject(
>> 289:        COSName.getPDFName("Fields"));
>> 290:
>> 291: for (int i = 0; i < fields.size() && retval == null; i++) 292:{
>>
>> To avoid this, at first I was calling PDAcroForm.getFields() and checking that to
see if that was NULL but I realized that it would usually create a new fields array to return
which seemed wasteful.

this happens when there is a /Fields entry but there is no content in which case an empty
List is returned which you could check using List.isEmpty(). Unfortunately in case the /Fields
entry is missing completely null is returned. This has been addressed in PDFBox 2.0.0 where
there is always an empty List for both cases. Please note that /Fields is a required entry
so the PDF(s) are not in line with the spec but nevertheless should be handled correctly.

>> Is the most efficient way to avoid this to first call:
>>   COSArray fields =  (COSArray) acroForm.getDictionaryObject(
>> COSName.getPDFName("Fields")); myself and check if that is NULL?

if there is no /Fields entry getFields() returns null - so you could use that.

>> Secondary Question:
>> The method PDAcroForm.getFields() does a not-NULL check of fields before calling
fields.size().
>> Is there a reason that this check is not performed in getField()?

thats a bug. I've created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-2965 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-2965>
for that.

BR
Maruan