pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>
Subject Re: Replacing images in PDFs.
Date Wed, 02 Sep 2015 01:52:35 GMT

> On 1 Sep 2015, at 09:31, Tilman Hausherr <THausherr@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> Am 01.09.2015 um 11:26 schrieb Lachezar Dobrev:
>>   Hello all.
>>   I'm tasked with providing a service to generate PDFs from template PDFs
>> by replacing text place holders and image place holders with data from a
>> database.
>> ​  For replacing text we decided to use Form Field​s to keep minimal effect
>> on the page layout, and to avoid problems with texts being split into parts
>> by the editor.
>>   Replacing images is also achievable using
>> COSStream.replaceWithStream(COSStream).
>>
>>   Q1: The replaceWithStream method is being deprecated. What can I use to
>> do the same thing in PDFBox 2? I tried stream-copying, but I get a
>> "WARNING: DCTFilter#encode is not implemented yet, skipping this stream."
>> and the image disappears from the output file.
>
> If you want to copy a JPEG, you should use createRawInputStream().

Isn’t that what PDFCloneUtility is for? I remember a long-winded discussion we had
on the mailing list a while ago where I’d wanted stream copying to be simpler, but
I believe that this was the accepted solution.

— John

> The JPEG should be of the same size and same colorspace than the original image.
>
> Alternatively - just put nothing in the templare, and simply put an image of whatever
size you want with traditional methods (see image handling in PDPageContentStream)