pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Roberto Nibali <rnib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sanitizing input?
Date Mon, 10 Aug 2015 00:22:47 GMT
Hi

Disclaimer: I have very limited knowledge of the PDF standard and only
command the basics of PDFBox, however I have had my share of thrills with
the IRS.

What's the final purpose of those filled out PDFs? Do you intend to be MeF (
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4164.pdf) compliant? Are we talking about
such PDFs (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/, which btw are/could be quite a
test bed for PDFBox)? If MeF sounds intruiging to you, "simply" model and
validate the input with the IRS' XSD for MeF and model your application
around such a stable data governance.

Generally the IRS does extensive post-processing on the input documents, so
I wouldn't bother too much. But depending on the kind of service you offer,
you mileage will vary. Now, we had our share of fun with the IRS when
filling out claims from "untrusted sources". If you provide a certified tax
service, you might also need to adhere to processing standards set forth by
the NIST, as in NIST SP-800-xx (53, for example), outlined for agencies in
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1075.pdf.

If you're just doing it for some friends, apply the basic sanitizing
aspects you figure out and go from there. Improve it over time, depending
on the feedback of the IRS' process.

Best regards

Roberto