pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: Cannot load pre existing PDF to access fields
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2015 07:36:58 GMT
Hi,

> Am 24.08.2015 um 09:15 schrieb Tolen Miller <tolenmiller@msn.com>:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to load a fillable pdf file I created (using LiveCycle), but cannot seem
to get a hold of the fields. Is there anything obviously wrong with the code below or could
it be my form?

>                                 PDDocument pdfDoc = new PDDocument();
>             String fileTemplate = "D:\\PDFTemplates\\RPA_Template_Test.pdf";
>
>             try {
>                   pdfDoc = PDDocument.load(fileTemplate);
>                   PDDocumentCatalog docCatalog = pdfDoc.getDocumentCatalog();
>                   PDAcroForm pdfTemplate = docCatalog.getAcroForm();
>                   pdfDoc.getNumberOfPages();
>                   List<PDField> pdfFields = pdfTemplate.getFields();

if there is a PDAcroForm but there are no fields it's very likely a dynamic XFA form. If you
are using PDFBox 2.0.0 you can use PDAcroForm.xfaIsDynamic(). If that returns true then you
have a dynamic XFA form. For PDFBox 1.8.x you can use PDAcroForm.getXFA(). If that is not
null and getFields() is empty again this means that you have a dynamic XFA form. Dynamic XFA
forms do not contain 'regular' AcroForm fields.

What is it what you would like to do with the form?

BR
Maruan