pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: PDChoiceField values not being returned
Date Tue, 25 Aug 2015 13:07:14 GMT
Hi,

> Am 25.08.2015 um 14:55 schrieb Andrew Crowe <a.crowe@opengroup.org>:
>
> Hi,
>
>   I am using version 1.8.9.  I've been trying to track down the issue, and although the
drop downs and check boxes appear correctly in the PDF, it seems that they are being treated
as either 'PDChoiceField' or 'PDCheckBox', but with a child that is an ' org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.interactive.annotation.PDAnnotationWidget'!

> So I have put in a work around that if its an 'PDAnnotationWidget' child then forget
the child and just get the value of the parent PDField.  This seems to work, but I'm not sure
that it should have to be like this!  I'm guessing that it might be something with the tool
that created the original PDF.  When I created the same document in Adobe DC then it all worked
fine with the code below, so I'm putting this one down to differences in PDF creation tools!

Your workaround is correct as is as it should be as the PDAnnotationWidget is the visible
representation of the field (there can be many PDAnnotationWidgets assigned to one field)
but the fields value is stored with the field. Now if there is only one PDAnnotationWidget
it's entries and the field entries ca be combined into one dictionary So that is why it might
work in one case and doesn't in the other.

BR
Maruan

> If I'm just hiding the true cause then it would be great to know. Otherwise I'll go with
my work around.

> Many thanks
>
> Andy.
>
> On 24/08/2015 14:55, Maruan Sahyoun wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Am 24.08.2015 um 15:23 schrieb Andrew Crowe <a.crowe@opengroup.org>:
>>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>     I have a service that takes in a PDF document and returns it as an
>>> XML document with the parameter name/values.  This works great except
>>> for PDChoiceFields.  Sometimes they come back ok, but other times they
>>> don't.  My code for returning the values is,
>>>

>> which version of PDFBox are you using? Would it be possible to attach the print out
of PDField.getDictionary() for the field where you would expect a value to be returned?

>> BR
>> Maruan
>>
>>> ------------
>>>             } else if (field instanceof PDChoiceField) {
>>>
>>>                 PDChoiceField cf = (PDChoiceField) field;
>>>
>>>                 COSArray caAll = cf.getOptions();
>>>                 COSArray caSelected = cf.getSelectedOptions();
>>>
>>>                 if (caSelected != null)
>>>                 {
>>>                     for (int i=0; i < caSelected.size(); i++)
>>>                     {
>>>                         COSBase cb  = caSelected.get(i);
>>>                         COSInteger cbInt = (COSInteger) cb;
>>>
>>>                         COSBase cb2 = caAll.get(cbInt.intValue());
>>>
>>>                         // Check its an array.  If its not then the
>>> selected item has no value
>>>                         if (cb2 instanceof COSArray)
>>>                         {
>>>                             COSArray vals = (COSArray) cb2;
>>>
>>>                             fieldValue = vals.getString(0);
>>>                         }
>>>                     }
>>>
>>>                 } else {
>>>
>>>                     fieldValue = field.getValue();
>>>                 }

>>> This is returning null, even if there are values in the field. I cant attach
the example file as its too large.