pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>
Subject Re: Change the color of particular text in PDF
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2015 02:04:50 GMT

> On 11 Aug 2015, at 10:37, Tilman Hausherr <THausherr@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> Am 11.08.2015 um 19:15 schrieb Prakash Dubey:
>>>  You said you have already identified the text. I thought this means you
>>> have looked at the content stream.
>>
>> I have used following link code to identify the code :
>> http://www.coderanch.com/t/494267/open-source/replacing-String-PDF-PDFBox <http://www.coderanch.com/t/494267/open-source/replacing-String-PDF-PDFBox>
>
> Yes... while that code is outdated, the current example can now be found in ReplaceString.java
in the source code download.

It’s probably worth mentioning that we removed that example in 2.0 because it’s hopelessly
broken, as is the linked reply from code ranch. We provide no fully functioning way to achieve
this currently.

— John

> What you could try is to insert new tokens as explained into the content stream just
before the text you want to change. Or to alter existing tokens.

> You need to do some work yourself. I.e. create a new PDFOperator("rg"), preceded by three
numbers, and insert these at the correct place into that list. Alternatively, review what
tokens you get, and change the existing ones.

> PDFBox is very low level, it also helps to know a bit about PDF. Get the PDF spec and
start with "operator summary" and then click around. It is also useful to have a look at the
uncompressed PDF. Use the "WriteDecodedDoc" command line utility and then use NOTEPAD++ to
have a look.