pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>
Subject Re: "Illegal instruction: 4" with PDFToImage
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2015 02:53:29 GMT
Our mailing list doesn’t support binary attachments, can you post the file at a public URL?
Obviously this is a JDK bug but we’ll be able to look into working around it. What JDK version
are you running?

— John

> On 10 Aug 2015, at 19:39, Chris Clark <chrisc@allenai.org> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I encountered a PDF that appears to not only fails to parse, but crashes the entire JVM
when we attempt to parse it with PDFBox. The PDF is attached, running:

> java -jar pdfbox-app-2.0.0-SNAPSHOT.jar PDFToImage dangerous_page.pdf -dpi 200
>
> Fails with "Illegal instruction: 4"
>
> Trying to render the PDF programmatically crashes the JVM. This is on Max OSX. Oddly
rendering the PDF with a DPI of 72 works fine but it seems like any other DPI causes the error.
PDFBox 1.8.9 was also able to render the PDF.

> This is presenting a serious problem to us since there is no way for us to recover from
this error if it occurs. A fix or even just a work around would be greatly appreciated.