pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Tilman Hausherr <THaush...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: NullPointerException from PDDocument
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2015 17:43:40 GMT
Am 10.08.2015 um 16:25 schrieb Kevin Ternes:
> Thanks Tilman, but I found the problem.  It is not a malformed PDF.
> The PDDocument was being prematurely closed in an earlier method.
>
> I still think it would be good if this method added a description message about the null
trailer to the Exception.  With an ordinary NullPointerException, we really have no idea what
might have happened.

We'd probably put some messages everywhere.... please accept that if you
do illegal things, mayhem will follow :-)

Tilman

PDDocument.getDocumentCatalog().
>>   From PDDocument:
>>
>> public PDDocumentCatalog getDocumentCatalog() {
>>         If (documentCatalog == null)
>>         {
>>               COSDictionary trailer = document.getTrailer();
>>               COSBase dictionary = trailer.getDictionaryObject( COSName.ROOT );
>>               if (dictionary instanceof COSDictionary)
>>               {
>>                   documentCatalog = new PDDocumentCatalog(this, (COSDictionary) dictionary);
>>               }
>>               else
>>               {
>>                   documentCatalog = new PDDocumentCatalog(this);
>>               }
>>         }
>>         return documentCatalog;
>> }
>>
>> The document.getTrailer() returns NULL for this PDF and thus the NullPointerException
from the next line.

>> Is it possible that the PDF is malformed?
>> I do not see where I might have cleared the document.trailer field.
>>
>> If any PDFBox developers are listening, would it be reasonable to put a check into
the above code to deal with the NULL document.trailer?