pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Sumit Sandal <Sumit_San...@infosys.com>
Subject RE: PDFbox : Can it be used to modifying templates for generating reports
Date Thu, 27 Aug 2015 03:56:59 GMT
Thanks Bruno. JasperReport and BIRT were one of the options I was considering. I don't have
any experience in Jasper/BIRT that's why I was looking some thing more of Java library.
On further clarifications for requirements, I can say that we need Pdf with table created
using dynamic data in columns and rows ,that will be decided what JSON response is received
.
I had a POC done earlier in PDFBox, I personally found using PDFbox in my case is not easy
to configure [spc. when there are many PDFs to be created with tables of varying columns and
rows], though PDFBox has more options programmatically. Am I right about this?
Yesterday completed another one using Apache FOP which for me had flow like mentioned below.
My impression so far is It is easily configurable since only xml-fo are to be created. But
the part where I have to convert JSON to XML has lot of hardcoding. I will be looking for
some library which can convert JSON directly to XML with minimum hardcoding
JSON Response  >> XML >> Using XML-FO >> PDF
Thanks
Sumit Sandal
From: Bruno Svorinic [mailto:BRUNO@MIT-Software.hr]
Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 1:04 PM
To: users@pdfbox.apache.org
Subject: Re: PDFbox : Can it be used to modifying templates for generating reports

>From what you wrote I think you would be better of using JasperReport to create PDF from
some template and data coming from database (or JSON or whatever). I think PDFBox (like iText
which Jasper I believe uses) is more oriented at manipulating PDF's on lower level...

Just my 2 cents...

Bruno

>>> Sumit Sandal <Sumit_Sandal@infosys.com<mailto:Sumit_Sandal@infosys.com>>
25.8.2015. 15:00 >>>
Hi All,

I want to implement a solution which parses JSON and picks values from it to generate PDF
from templates.
Kind of Reports.
But have to check width and height of Tables as well.
Will PDFbox be able to help. From what I have learnt today after going through PDFBox site
is that it is not that much of great tool for editing templates and generating dynamic pdfs.

If no, please suggest a good open source library to use. An example doing this will be applauded
heavily :)

Thanks & Regards
Sumit

Infosys e-mail system.