pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>
Subject Re: Rendering PDImageXObject
Date Wed, 12 Aug 2015 02:11:26 GMT

> On 11 Aug 2015, at 08:19, Kirk, Kenneth <Kkirk@ILSOS.NET> wrote:
>
> John
>
> How would I know what DPI the image was drawn with?  Some of the PDF pages come from
source outside of my control but I have to extract them just the same.

I’m confused, you said you were converting TIFFs to PDF but now you mention PDF pages from
external sources? Are you reading the PDFs or writing them? Did you mean that the TFF images
come from an external source?

— John

 When converting a tiff image to PDF I use the drawImage method of the PDPageContentStream.
 The tiff image has a resolution of 200 DPI which is 1700x2200.  When PDFRenderer renders
this image from the resulting PDF page  it does so at the PDF default of 72 DPI which logically
translates to page 23 inches by 30 inches when applied to the original iamge size of 1700x2200.
 Since I don't know after the fact what DPI a image object on PDF page was drawn at I came
up with down scaling the image at PDF creation time to 72 DPI.  I'm sure there must a better
way one of you computer science PHDs have come up with.

> You can draw the image with a scale of 72 / 200, in other words:
>
> double dpi = 200; // you’ll want to fetch this from the tiff content.drawImage(image,
x, y, image.getWidth() * 72 / dpi, image.getHeight() * 72 / dpi;

> — John

> Disclaimer - This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and contain
privileged or copyright information. You must not present this message to another party without
gaining permission from the sender. If you are not the intended recipient you must not copy,
distribute or use this email or the information contained in it for any purpose other than
to notify the Office of the Illinois Secretary of State.

> If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately, and
delete this email from your system. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of the Office of
the Illinois Secretary of State.