pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>
Subject Re: PDFBox 2.0.0 Snapshot PDChoice and Increased Runtime Execution Time
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2015 22:29:39 GMT

> On 16 Jul 2015, at 15:28, John Hewson <john@jahewson.com> wrote:
>

>> On 16 Jul 2015, at 11:53, jarrod <xhozst@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've converted a 1.8.9 project to the latest 2.0.0 shapshot (as of 20150716). This
project fill's in acroForm fields and then saves to a new file.

>> 1.  I'm having difficulty in assigning the selected value to a PDChoice field. In
1.8.9, I was able to use .setValue(strValueGoesHere) as long as the item already existed.
When it didn't exist, i would add it first. In version 2.0.0, using .setValue(strValueGoesHere)
throws an exception "not implemented". Then I proceeded to try using .setSelectedOptionsIndex
but that throws the following exception "Setting the indices is not allowed for choice fields
not allowing multiple selections."

>> How should I be setting this PDChoice field?
>
> We don’t support generating the appearance for a choice field yet, but you can generate
forms without appearances (as 1.8.9 does) by first calling setNeedAppearances(false) on the
PDAcroForm.

Sorry, that should have been setNeedAppearances(true). This tells consumers of the PDF that
they will need to generate the appearances themselves, i.e. they are not pre-generated.

— John

>> 2.  Additionally, I've noticed the runtime execution time has dramatically increased
when saving the document. The following lines of code only took 0 seconds previously and now
takes 14 seconds;

>> java.util.Date startTime2 = new java.util.Date();
>> pdfDocument.save(dest);
>> pdfDocument.close();
>> java.util.Date endTime2 = new java.util.Date();
>> System.out.println("Save Time: " + ((endTime2.getTime()-startTime2.getTime())/1000));
>>

> Andreas, any thoughts?
>
>> 3.  Also, I'm getting the following log entries during runtime although I'm guessing
they are not very important;

>> Jul 16, 2015 1:43:30 PM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>
>> WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002.
Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.

> That’s PDFBox trying to create a local cache of font files and failing. I’m not sure
why, looks like the reason is Windows-specific. It might take a few extra seconds to load
PDFBox without the cache, but it not a problem.

>> Jul 16, 2015 1:43:30 PM org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.PDType1Font <init>
>> WARNING: Using fallback font ArialMT for base font ZapfDingbats
>
> I’m surprised that PDFBox doesn’t find a better substitute for ZapfDingbats, enable
TRACE logging and post the log file.