pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>
Subject Re: PDFBox 2.0.0 Snapshot PDChoice and Increased Runtime Execution Time
Date Thu, 16 Jul 2015 22:28:05 GMT

> On 16 Jul 2015, at 11:53, jarrod <xhozst@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I've converted a 1.8.9 project to the latest 2.0.0 shapshot (as of 20150716). This project
fill's in acroForm fields and then saves to a new file.

> 1.  I'm having difficulty in assigning the selected value to a PDChoice field. In 1.8.9,
I was able to use .setValue(strValueGoesHere) as long as the item already existed. When it
didn't exist, i would add it first. In version 2.0.0, using .setValue(strValueGoesHere) throws
an exception "not implemented". Then I proceeded to try using .setSelectedOptionsIndex but
that throws the following exception "Setting the indices is not allowed for choice fields
not allowing multiple selections."

> How should I be setting this PDChoice field?

We don’t support generating the appearance for a choice field yet, but you can generate
forms without appearances (as 1.8.9 does) by first calling setNeedAppearances(false) on the
PDAcroForm.

> 2.  Additionally, I've noticed the runtime execution time has dramatically increased
when saving the document. The following lines of code only took 0 seconds previously and now
takes 14 seconds;

> java.util.Date startTime2 = new java.util.Date();
> pdfDocument.save(dest);
> pdfDocument.close();
> java.util.Date endTime2 = new java.util.Date();
> System.out.println("Save Time: " + ((endTime2.getTime()-startTime2.getTime())/1000));

Andreas, any thoughts?

> 3.  Also, I'm getting the following log entries during runtime although I'm guessing
they are not very important;

> Jul 16, 2015 1:43:30 PM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>
> WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002.
Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.

That’s PDFBox trying to create a local cache of font files and failing. I’m not sure why,
looks like the reason is Windows-specific. It might take a few extra seconds to load PDFBox
without the cache, but it not a problem.

> Jul 16, 2015 1:43:30 PM org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.PDType1Font <init>
> WARNING: Using fallback font ArialMT for base font ZapfDingbats

I’m surprised that PDFBox doesn’t find a better substitute for ZapfDingbats, enable TRACE
logging and post the log file.

— John