pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Lehmkuehler <andr...@lehmi.de>
Subject Re: PDFBox 2.0.0 Snapshot PDChoice and Increased Runtime Execution Time
Date Sat, 18 Jul 2015 14:47:00 GMT
Am 17.07.2015 um 00:28 schrieb John Hewson:

>> On 16 Jul 2015, at 11:53, jarrod <xhozst@yahoo.com.INVALID> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've converted a 1.8.9 project to the latest 2.0.0 shapshot (as of 20150716). This
project fill's in acroForm fields and then saves to a new file.

>> 1.  I'm having difficulty in assigning the selected value to a PDChoice field. In
1.8.9, I was able to use .setValue(strValueGoesHere) as long as the item already existed.
When it didn't exist, i would add it first. In version 2.0.0, using .setValue(strValueGoesHere)
throws an exception "not implemented". Then I proceeded to try using .setSelectedOptionsIndex
but that throws the following exception "Setting the indices is not allowed for choice fields
not allowing multiple selections."

>> How should I be setting this PDChoice field?
>
> We don’t support generating the appearance for a choice field yet, but you can generate
forms without appearances (as 1.8.9 does) by first calling setNeedAppearances(false) on the
PDAcroForm.

>> 2.  Additionally, I've noticed the runtime execution time has dramatically increased
when saving the document. The following lines of code only took 0 seconds previously and now
takes 14 seconds;

>> java.util.Date startTime2 = new java.util.Date();
>> pdfDocument.save(dest);
>> pdfDocument.close();
>> java.util.Date endTime2 = new java.util.Date();
>> System.out.println("Save Time: " + ((endTime2.getTime()-startTime2.getTime())/1000));
>>

> Andreas, any thoughts?
No, but it looks like Jarrod already answered that question in his later
posting, seems to be related to the creation of the appearance stream.

BR
Andreas

>> 3.  Also, I'm getting the following log entries during runtime although I'm guessing
they are not very important;

>> Jul 16, 2015 1:43:30 PM java.util.prefs.WindowsPreferences <init>
>> WARNING: Could not open/create prefs root node Software\JavaSoft\Prefs at root 0x80000002.
Windows RegCreateKeyEx(...) returned error code 5.

> That’s PDFBox trying to create a local cache of font files and failing. I’m not sure
why, looks like the reason is Windows-specific. It might take a few extra seconds to load
PDFBox without the cache, but it not a problem.

>> Jul 16, 2015 1:43:30 PM org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.PDType1Font <init>
>> WARNING: Using fallback font ArialMT for base font ZapfDingbats
>
> I’m surprised that PDFBox doesn’t find a better substitute for ZapfDingbats, enable
TRACE logging and post the log file.