pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Tasha Keppler <ta...@epolk.com>
Subject RE: TextPosition in vb
Date Thu, 09 Jul 2015 20:52:11 GMT
Thank you for this.

If I understand correctly (please have patience with me) this is to create a separate class
that overwrites the PDFTextStripper class. Is there a more simplified way of doing this using
the TextPosition object instead? Since I'm working in .net I'm not sure the ease of translating
this.

Thank you again,

Tasha Keppler

-----Original Message-----
From: Tilman Hausherr [mailto:THausherr@t-online.de]
Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2015 4:48 PM
To: users@pdfbox.apache.org
Subject: Re: TextPosition in vb

Sorry, I see that I posted the unreleased 2.0 version. Here's the 1.8
version:

/*
  * Licensed to the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) under one or more
  * contributor license agreements.  See the NOTICE file distributed with
  * this work for additional information regarding copyright ownership.
  * The ASF licenses this file to You under the Apache License, Version 2.0
  * (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with
  * the License.  You may obtain a copy of the License at
  *
  *      http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0
  *
  * limitations under the License.
  */
package org.apache.pdfbox.examples.util;

import org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDDocument;
import org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDPage; import org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.common.PDStream;
import org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFTextStripper;
import org.apache.pdfbox.util.TextPosition;

import java.io.IOException;

import java.util.List;

/**
  * This is an example on how to get some x/y coordinates of text.
  *
  * Usage: java org.apache.pdfbox.examples.util.PrintTextLocations
&lt;input-pdf&gt;
  *
  * @author <a href="mailto:ben@benlitchfield.com">Ben Litchfield</a>
  * @version $Revision: 1.7 $
  */
public class PrintTextLocations extends PDFTextStripper {
     /**
      * Default constructor.
      *
      * @throws IOException If there is an error loading text stripper properties.
      */
     public PrintTextLocations() throws IOException
     {
         super.setSortByPosition( true );
     }

     /**
      * This will print the documents data.
      *
      * @param args The command line arguments.
      *
      * @throws Exception If there is an error parsing the document.
      */
     public static void main( String[] args ) throws Exception
     {
         if( args.length != 1 )
         {
             usage();
         }
         else
         {
             PDDocument document = null;
             try
             {
                 document = PDDocument.load( args[0] );
                 if( document.isEncrypted() )
                 {
                     document.decrypt( "" );
                 }
                 PrintTextLocations printer = new PrintTextLocations();
                 List allPages =
document.getDocumentCatalog().getAllPages();
                 for( int i=0; i<allPages.size(); i++ )
                 {
                     PDPage page = (PDPage)allPages.get( i );
                     System.out.println( "Processing page: " + i );
                     PDStream contents = page.getContents();
                     if( contents != null )
                     {
                         printer.processStream( page, page.findResources(), page.getContents().getStream()
);
                     }
                 }
             }
             finally
             {
                 if( document != null )
                 {
                     document.close();
                 }
             }
         }
     }

     /**
      * A method provided as an event interface to allow a subclass to perform
      * some specific functionality when text needs to be processed.
      *
      * @param text The text to be processed
      */
     protected void processTextPosition( TextPosition text )
     {
         System.out.println( "String[" + text.getXDirAdj() + "," +
                 text.getYDirAdj() + " fs=" + text.getFontSize() + "
xscale=" +
                 text.getXScale() + " height=" + text.getHeightDir() + "
space=" +
                 text.getWidthOfSpace() + " width=" +
                 text.getWidthDirAdj() + "]" + text.getCharacter() );
     }

     /**
      * This will print the usage for this document.
      */
     private static void usage()
     {
         System.err.println( "Usage: java org.apache.pdfbox.examples.pdmodel.PrintTextLocations
<input-pdf>" );
     }

}