pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Kevin Jones <kjo...@higherlogic.com>
Subject Possible Bug extracting creation date
Date Thu, 04 Jun 2015 16:13:47 GMT
Hello,

We are currently using Apache Solr / Tika to index documents for searching. The exact version
that is being used is version 1.8.8 of PDFBox.

We can across a document that produced this stack trace (trimmed to the relevant part of PDFBox):

Caused by: java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 1
        at java.lang.String.charAt(String.java:658)
        at org.apache.pdfbox.util.DateConverter.parseDate(DateConverter.java:679)
        at org.apache.pdfbox.util.DateConverter.toCalendar(DateConverter.java:808)
        at org.apache.pdfbox.util.DateConverter.toCalendar(DateConverter.java:780)
        at org.apache.pdfbox.util.DateConverter.toCalendar(DateConverter.java:753)
        at org.apache.pdfbox.cos.COSDictionary.getDate(COSDictionary.java:849)
        at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDDocumentInformation.getCreationDate(PDDocumentInformation.java:212)

Inspection of the document’s binary revealed that it contained a creationDate consisting
of a single white space (ASCII 0x20), which is probably illegal. I managed to create a small
reproduction of the error using like so:

File file = new File(“/path/to/document/bad.pdf");
InputStream stream = new FileInputStream(file);
PDFParser parser = new PDFParser(stream);
parser.parse();
PDDocumentInformation info = parser.getPDDocument().getDocumentInformation();
Calendar creationDate = info.getCreationDate();
System.out.println(creationDate.toString());

Which produces the same stack trace. I verified this against the latest build from the site
on 1.8.9, and the behavior remains. This looks very similar to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-1803,
however that issue is marked as resolved in 1.8.5. So, my questions:

  *   Is the exception an expected behavior? Ideally Tika would just index the document anyway,
the creation date isn’t important to us. Tika had an issue for this, TIKA-1233, that marks
it as fixed by swallowing the exception, but looking at the comments for it, they removed
the try/catch in r1593983 since it is marked as fixed here.
  *   Is this a regression, or slightly different somehow from 1803? Shall I create a new
issue or get the existing 1803 re-opened?
  *   The PDF that reproduces the issue can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tll5rscrlt95xuc/bad.pdf?dl=0

--
Kevin Jones