pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Johanneke Lamberink <johanneke.lamber...@onior.com>
Subject Re: PDPageDestination off by one
Date Mon, 04 May 2015 12:24:48 GMT
Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply. As I stated in my original email, I ask
PDFBox for the pagenumber of a bookmark, and I use that exact number to
set the pagenumber of a bookmark. No switching between user/development
environment.

The bookmark was added in Adobe Acrobat Pro, on the second page. When
inspecting the bookmark, it states that the page destination is page 2.
When programmatically setting the bookmark to the same page as returned by
PDFBox for the original PDF, the bookmark in the resulting PDF is on the
third page.

The code I use for reading the bookmark and then creating the bookmark is
pasted below.

Reading a PDF to extract the bookmarks to XML:
// item instanceof PDOutlineItem
if ( item != null ) {
   PDDestination destination = item.getDestination();
   PDAction action = item.getAction();
   if ( action instanceof PDActionGoTo && destination == null ) {
      PDActionGoTo gotoAction = (PDActionGoTo) action;
      destination = gotoAction.getDestination();
   }
   if ( destination != null ) {
      Map<String, String> properties = new HashMap<String, String>();
      properties.put( Bookmark.ACTION, "GoTo" );
      if ( destination instanceof PDNamedDestination ) {
         PDNamedDestination namedDest = (PDNamedDestination) destination;
         properties.put( Bookmark.NAMED, namedDest.getNamedDestination() );
      } else if ( destination instanceof PDPageDestination ) {
         PDPageDestination pageDest = (PDPageDestination) destination;
         int pagenumber = pageDest.findPageNumber(); // this results in
Œ2¹ for the original PDF, with a bookmark created on the second page in
Adobe Acrobat Pro
         LOGGER.debug( "Page in PDF = " + pagenumber );
         properties.put( Bookmark.PAGE, String.valueOf( pagenumber ) );
      }
   }
				}

Creating bookmarks programmatically in the PDF:
int pagenumber = Integer.parseInt( xml );
COSArray destinationArray = new COSArray();
				destinationArray.add( 0, COSNumber.get( "" + pagenumber ) );
				destinationArray.add( 1, COSName.getPDFName( "Fit" ) );
				actionDict.setItem( "D", destinationArray );
				pdAction = new PDActionGoTo( actionDict );
// I added this to check the correct setting of the destination
				PDActionGoTo gotoAction = (PDActionGoTo) pdAction;
				PDPageDestination dest = (PDPageDestination)
gotoAction.getDestination();
				LOGGER.debug( "New page in PDF = " + dest.findPageNumber() );
// results in page Œ2¹, same as the original PDF.

I¹ve tried correcting the pagenumber myself by adding/subtracting 1, but
this only works once. Setting the pagenumber to 1 (for example), will
result in a correct PDF with a working bookmark. When extracting the
bookmarks a second time however (as is needed for my application), I get
pagenumber = 1. This means that I never know when to correct for the