pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Eric Douglas <edoug...@blockhouse.com>
Subject Re: pdfbox warnings
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2015 20:46:19 GMT
Here's what I could find, it appears Adobe shipped Zapfdingbats (and other
fonts) with Acrobat Reader up to about version 5 or 6.  Now they'll display
Zapfdingbats characters using the Zapfdingbats font if you have that font
installed (apparently not free, unless you can copy it out of an old Adobe
Reader install?), otherwise they display the characters out of the Adobe Pi
Std, which appears to be a grand mash of multiple fonts.  You can find that
font in the Adobe install folder and install the font to Windows.  Then you
can view that font in the "Character Map" app which tells us there's
various check mark characters, one of them is U+2713.
I'm not sure the licensing, but I would think if you can't ship
Zapfdingbats Type 1 font with an open source application that renders PDFs,
you should be able to include the Adobe Pi Std because it doesn't make
sense to say those 14 fonts are part of the PDF standard then make people
pay to use them.  If not?  There should be some other free distributable
replacement.