pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Eric Douglas <edoug...@blockhouse.com>
Subject Re: pdfbox warnings
Date Wed, 08 Apr 2015 17:59:57 GMT
Where are you getting the Arial Unicode MS?  It doesn't come with Windows,
that is, it's not installed on my Windows 8.1 Pro.
Previously when I referenced a unicode font I used Lucida Sans Unicode.
My Windows Arial includes Arial Black, Arial Bold, Arial Bold Italic, Arial
Italic, and Arial Regular.

Windows likes to change their fonts, which is annoying when you have
programs that run on different operating systems and you want consistent
output.
We used to reference fonts by name but even when it found the same font
sometimes there were different versions.  We once had 2 machines running
the same OS, Windows 98 SE, which produced different output from the same
Courier font file name.
I started writing Java with Windows XP Pro and copied the Lucida font files
from the Windows Fonts folder to embed in my jar to make sure my program
output wouldn't look different when we changed OS.
It is best if there's a free, redistributable font file you can embed in a
jar. (as long as they can't guarantee we can find the same font installed
on every OS)