pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Eric Douglas <edoug...@blockhouse.com>
Subject Re: pdfbox warnings
Date Tue, 07 Apr 2015 12:00:05 GMT
On Tue, Apr 7, 2015 at 2:56 AM, John Hewson <john@jahewson.com> wrote:

> include
> >> that substitution by default in PDFBox.
> >

> > Just a lurker chiming in here... If John Hewson's statement is true,
> > doesn't the substitution solve this?
>
> Yes, we just need to make sure to choose a substitute (Windings,
> Webdings?) which provides the necessary glyphs (I believe that they're all
> in Unicode, so our existing cmap mapping mechanism for TTF glyphs should
> handle it once we map the font name).

Is that a real solution?  Is Zapfdingbats available on any platform?  Is
Wingdings available on every platform or free to redistribute?
I don't know what characters are in Zapfdingbats versus Wingdings, but it
would need a mapping.  I tested replacing Zapfdingbats with Wingdings in my
own app yesterday and had to change the character code to print a check
mark.