pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Peter Murray-Rust <pm...@cam.ac.uk>
Subject Re: pdfbox warnings
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2015 21:07:54 GMT
The rubric in Core14_AFMs/MustRead.html reads:

"This file and the 14 PostScript(R) AFM files it accompanies may be used,
copied, and distributed for any purpose and without charge, with or without
modification, provided that all copyright notices are retained; that the
AFM files are not distributed without this file; that all modifications to
this file or any of the AFM files are prominently noted in the modified
file(s); and that this paragraph is not modified. Adobe Systems has no
responsibility or obligation to support the use of the AFM files."
 C"ol

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 9:46 PM, Eric Douglas <edouglas@blockhouse.com>
wrote:

> I'm not sure the licensing, but I would think if you can't ship
> Zapfdingbats Type 1 font with an open source application that renders PDFs,
> you should be able to include the Adobe Pi Std because it doesn't make
> sense to say those 14 fonts are part of the PDF standard then make people
> pay to use them.

A standard does not necessarily have to be free to implement (and ISO
itself charges 198 Swiss Francs for the PDF standard ISO32000 -
http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=51502);

We may also have to differentiate between "licence to use" and "licence to
redistribute"

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics