pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From "Hesham G." <heshamgne...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reading text using TextPosition
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 16:02:06 GMT
Frank ,

I have handled TextPositions using X & Y coordinates as you have suggested
to detect new lines. It works fine, but if a sentence is written on 2 lines
I can't detect it. If you know a trick to detect that it will help a lot.

Best regards ,
Hesham

Hi Hesham,

There is no newline character in a PDF. Only printable characters are
saved, each with its X and Y coordinates.
If you sort the TextPositions by Y and X, you can detect 'newlines' by
finding an increase in Y and a decrease in X. However, this isn't
foolproof, since things like subscripts and superscripts are out of order
when sorted by Y. Where there are multiple columns, this won't work.

Frank