pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: .XDP file can load & edit in PDFBox?
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2015 05:55:54 GMT
Hi,

> Am 09.04.2015 um 01:00 schrieb Mayer, Alan@DCSS <Alan.Mayer@dcss.ca.gov>:
>
> BR,
>
> We have historically used Adobe LiveCycle Designer to create XDP templates that we populate
with Adobe LiveCycle ES3 server software.

we are using Adobe LiveCycle server products in various projects successfully so from that
PDFBox might be able to help you but only under certain, very limited conditions. We are using
PDFBox inside LiveCycle Projects but not to replace core functionality.

What do you do with the populated form? Which module(s) are you using?

> We are creating a new application and are looking for a simpler solution.

What is the complexity you'd like to get rid of? Is it the server based architecture? ...

> We are wondering if we can use Adobe LiveCycle Designer XDP form templates, read them
with PDFBox, populate fields programmatically, and save as PDF programmatically.

> We suspect that we may have to use PDF Templates created with Adobe Acrobat, or XDP templates
created with Adobe LiveCycle designer that we 'save as' to PDF templates.

Yes, you'd need a PDF to start from.
Technically it would be possible to create the PDF 'wrapper' from scratch using PDFBox but
there are a lot of other things which have to be done when writing a PDF with a XDP form contained
- PDFBox doesn't have high level functions to do that for you and I don't know of any samples
that this has been done before.

> Also, is there an option in PDFBox to 'flatten' a PDF template with field data added?

If you have a dynamic XDP form you'd need an XFA renderer which PDFBox doesn't have. PDFBox
can only 'flatten' static PDF forms.

If you are looking for a pure Java lib you might want to check http://www.datalogics.com/products/pdf/pdfjavatoolkit/
<http://www.datalogics.com/products/pdf/pdfjavatoolkit/> (which is developed by Adobe)
or iText that has an add on module called XFA worker.

In order to make an informed decision about PDFBox being a fit there would be more information
needed.

BR
Maruan

> Thanks,
>
> Alan Mayer

and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s).
Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable
laws including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.