pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>
Subject Re: pdfbox warnings
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2015 03:52:46 GMT
Actually this mapping won't work quite yet, as MS Gothic is a TrueType Collection (.ttc) and
we don't support that format. I'm adding necessary code to FontBox right now...

-- John

> On 8 Apr 2015, at 14:23, John Hewson <john@jahewson.com> wrote:
>
> I checked out MS Gothic and it’s perfect. The symbols are almost identical to Zapf
Dingbats, and it has all the glyphs we need.

> I’ve replaced the Arial Unicode MS mapping with MS Gothic in PDFBOX-1900. This change
will be in the next snapshot build. Please try it out.

> — John
>
>> On 8 Apr 2015, at 13:14, John Hewson <john@jahewson.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ok, I think I’ve found a suitable substitute font, MS Gothic ships with Windows
XP, Vista, 7, and 8 and has complete Unicode Dingbats coverage:

>> https://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FMID=1269
>>
>> See http://www.fonts.com/font/microsoft-corporation/ms-gothic/regular for Dingbats
coverage, click “Character Map” and select “2700…27BF Dingbats”.

>> — John

as Noto [1] which is ASL licensed (at least that's what they state) and they have a symbol
font [2]. Would need to check the mappings.

>>> Yes, but first we should check if a suitable font ships with Windows, as other
PDF viewers on the system are likely to be using it already. We don’t want PDFBox to unnecessarily
be using a non-platform font.