pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From "Henning, Klaus" <KHenn...@eitco.de>
Subject how to create structure for an existing PDF document
Date Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:54:24 GMT
Hi,

we want to create the structure to an existing PDF document. We have PDF documents from a
scanner which contains Images but no structure.
We want to implement a program to create the structure so we can add AlternateDescriptions
to the images based on tesaract ocr recognition.

Our first approach creates a structure but the structure seems to be incomplete when checking
it with adobe acrobat. We can't find any hints in the pdfbox examples
or documentation how to do this.

Our Code snippet:

             try {
                    PDDocument document = PDDocument.load("test.pdf");
                    PDDocumentCatalog documentCatalog = document.getDocumentCatalog();

                    PDStructureTreeRoot treeRoot = document.getDocumentCatalog().getStructureTreeRoot();

                    if(treeRoot == null){
                           COSDictionary cosDictionary = documentCatalog.getCOSDictionary();
                           PDStructureTreeRoot newTreeRoot = new PDStructureTreeRoot();

                           //iterate over pages
                           List<?> pages = documentCatalog.getAllPages();
                           for (Object object : pages) {
                                  PDPage page = (PDPage) object;
                                  Map<String,PDXObject> mapObjects = page.getResources().getXObjects();
                                  for (PDXObject pdxObject : mapObjects.values()) {
                                        if(pdxObject instanceof PDXObjectImage){
                                               PDXObjectImage objectImage = (PDXObjectImage)pdxObject;
                                               //new SturctureElement for the image
                                               PDStructureElement structureElement = new PDStructureElement(StandardStructureTypes.Figure,newTreeRoot);
                                               PDMarkedContent markedContent = new PDMarkedContent(COSName.IMAGE,
 new COSDictionary());
                                               markedContent.addXObject(objectImage);
                                               structureElement.appendKid(markedContent);
                                               structureElement.setAlternateDescription("NEW
ALTERNATE DESCRIPTION");
                                               newTreeRoot.appendKid(structureElement);
                                        }
                                  }
                           }

                           documentCatalog.setStructureTreeRoot(newTreeRoot);
                           treeRoot = documentCatalog.getStructureTreeRoot();
                    }

                    document.save("testWithTree.pdf");
                    document.close();
             }