pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: NullPointerException while validating PDF/A files
Date Fri, 30 Jan 2015 11:29:18 GMT
Hi Christian,

I'm looking forward to your feedback.

With kind regards

Maruan

Am 30.01.2015 um 12:00 schrieb Eugster Christian BB_SK <christian.eugster@stadt.sg.ch>:

> Hi Maruan,
>
> I shall try it with the versions you proposed. It will take some time, because I shall
work in the second half of February, but I shall inform you about the results. Thank you very
much!

> Christian

to see if the issue has been resolved lately (there were some enhancements to parsing, preflight
and especially with 2.0 for font handling)?

> If that issue hasn't been addressed we would need a sample file to reproduce the issue.
If the data is confidential there is the option to pass it to one of the committers privately.
The other option would be to decode the pdf inspect the portion where it's failing and copy
that PDF portion.

> BR
>
> Maruan
>

> Am 30.01.2015 um 10:59 schrieb Eugster Christian BB_SK <christian.eugster@stadt.sg.ch>:
>
>> Dear Maruan,
>>
>> Wow, that was fast...
>>
>> Yes, it is version 1.8.8 and the stacktrace I get is:
>>
>> 10:58:25.668 [main] DEBUG org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine -
>> processing substream token: PDFOperator{TJ} java.lang.NullPointerException
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.pdmodel.font.PDType0Font.getFontWidth(PDType0Font.java:188)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.preflight.font.container.FontContainer.checkGlyphWith(FontContainer.java:114)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.preflight.content.ContentStreamWrapper.validText(ContentStreamWrapper.java:372)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.preflight.content.ContentStreamWrapper.validStringArray(ContentStreamWrapper.java:296)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.preflight.content.ContentStreamWrapper.validStringArray(ContentStreamWrapper.java:292)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.preflight.content.ContentStreamWrapper.checkShowTextOperators(ContentStreamWrapper.java:208)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.preflight.content.ContentStreamWrapper.processOperator(ContentStreamWrapper.java:180)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine.processSubStream(PDFStreamEngine.java:268)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine.processSubStream(PDFStreamEngine.java:235)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine.processStream(PDFStreamEngine.java:215)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.preflight.content.ContentStreamWrapper.validPageContentStream(ContentStreamWrapper.java:75)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.preflight.process.reflect.SinglePageValidationProcess.validateContent(SinglePageValidationProcess.java:179)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.preflight.process.reflect.SinglePageValidationProcess.validate(SinglePageValidationProcess.java:87)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.preflight.utils.ContextHelper.callValidation(ContextHelper.java:81)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.preflight.utils.ContextHelper.validateElement(ContextHelper.java:54)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.preflight.process.PageTreeValidationProcess.validatePage(PageTreeValidationProcess.java:58)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.preflight.process.PageTreeValidationProcess.validate(PageTreeValidationProcess.java:47)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.preflight.utils.ContextHelper.callValidation(ContextHelper.java:81)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.preflight.utils.ContextHelper.validateElement(ContextHelper.java:96)
>>       at org.apache.pdfbox.preflight.PreflightDocument.validate(PreflightDocument.java:168)
>>       at ch.eugster.pdfa.validation.PdfaValidator.validateFile(PdfaValidator.java:198)
>>       at ch.eugster.pdfa.validation.PdfaValidator.validate(PdfaValidator.java:105)
>>       at ch.eugster.pdfa.validation.PdfaValidator.validate(PdfaValidator.java:97)
>>       at ch.eugster.pdfa.validation.PdfaValidator.<init>(PdfaValidator.java:77)
>>       at
>> ch.eugster.pdfa.validation.PdfaValidator.main(PdfaValidator.java:39)
>>
>> Christian

of them passed without problems. On 7 files however validating throws a nullpointerexception.
The place where this exception is thrown within pdfbox is  org.apache.pdfbox.util.PDFStreamEngine.
processSubStream(PDPage aPage, PDResources resources, COSStream cosStream) throws IOException
within the finally clause where streamResourcesStack.pop().clear() is done. Because I have
no chance to go further due to extremely restricted authorizations I can not say more about
it. The files in question are generated by Microsoft Office 2010 without protection. The content
of the files has informations about persons and I am not allowed to distribute them.

>>> Does anybody know about this and what could be the problem? What am I to do to
avoid this problem? Do you need any further information? Thanks for any response!

>>> christian.eugster@stadt.sg.ch<mailto:christian.eugster@stadt.sg.ch> l
>>> www.stadt.sg.ch<http://www.stadt.sg.ch/>
>>> Erreichbarkeit: jeweils Do und Fr der zweiten Monatshälfte.

>>> Hinweis: Diese Mitteilung ist ausschliesslich für die als Adressaten bezeichneten
Personen bestimmt. Sie kann vertrauliche und rechtlich geschützte Informationen enthalten.
Sollten Sie diese Mitteilung irrtümlich erhalten haben, bitten wir Sie, uns unverzüglich
zu benachrichtigen und diese Mitteilung zu löschen. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte
Weitergabe dieses E-Mails ist nicht gestattet. Besten Dank.