pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Will Herrmann <wjherrm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Printing PDF only shows a few letters in 1.8.7+, works in 1.8.6
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2014 04:35:08 GMT
I'm glad that you included the Java version; I realized that I was running JDK 1.7.0_25. When
I switched to Java 1.7.0_51, it worked just fine with the latest 1.8.8 snapshot on OS X, both
when using "Open PDF in Preview" and truly printing.

So it seems like PDFBox 1.8.7+ has issues with printing when using older versions of Java
1.7. Using newer versions should fix it.

Thanks for all your help!

-Will Herrmann

On Dec 2, 2014, at 2:56 AM, Maruan Sahyoun <sahyoun@fileaffairs.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tested using pdfbox-app-1.8.7 on OS X and the file renders fine
> - printing to a real printer
> - opening in preview using the PDF drop down in the printer dialog
> - using PDFToImage.
>
> Java Version I'm using is 1.7.0_55-b13
>
> BR
> Maruan
>
> Am 02.12.2014 um 04:51 schrieb Will Herrmann <wjherrmann@gmail.com>:
>
>> Thanks for your persistence in looking at this. It looks like I got my PDFs mixed
up earlier and this issue with PDFs not printing properly only seems to happen on OS X, where
I can consistently reproduce it, but not on Windows 8. In both cases, I am using Java 7.

>> If there is any more information I can provide or testing I can try, let me know.
>>
>> -Will Herrmann
>>

>>> On Dec 1, 2014, at 1:53 PM, Tilman Hausherr <THausherr@t-online.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've just tried your code, even with the scratch file, and I was able to print
without any trouble. Both on a real printer and on CIB PDF (on windows).

>>> Tilman

and the text appeared without incident.

but I got the same results as when I did have a scratch file.

the final print dialog and choosing "Open in Preview" on OS X and using CutePDF on Windows
to create a PDF of exactly what is being sent to the printer).

is that I didn't test with a scratch file like you did.

fine in PDFBox 1.8.6 (using the pdfbox-app distribution, if it matters). The text is properly
spaced and prints without issue, matching how it appears in Adobe Reader and OS X Preview.

prints the letters "F u c r", with a great deal of spacing in between. Oddly, theses are the
1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th letters of the text in the PDF. Nothing else appears on any other line.

but I wasn't entirely sure what sort of words to search for. I'd appreciate it if community
could tell me if this is a known issue or, if not, whether or not a bug report might be created
for the behavior.