pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>
Subject Re: Including PostScript in PDFBox
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2014 04:35:38 GMT
Philippe,

It would be better to export a PDF rather than an EPS, if the software you’re using supports
that, because PDFBox can easily add existing PDFs to a page as graphics.

Converting an EPS to a PNG isn’t a great idea because you’re converting vector graphics
into raster graphics, but PDF is a vector format, so you’re really loosing the advantage
of using PDF, i.e. vector graphics will never be pixelated.

-- John

> On 12 Nov 2014, at 02:14, phiroc@free.fr wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> I have exported an EPS image to a 2000 DPI PNG using Inkscape,converted the PNG to a
100%-quality JPG using Gimp, and then added the JPG image as a 300 x 27 pixel PDJpeg to a
PDPage. Yet, the JDJpeg is pixelated.

> Is there a better way to make PDPjeg images as little pixelated as possible?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Philippe

the files yourself and convert the drawing commands into equivalent PDF commands. However,
for any non-trivial file you’re going to need a PostScript interpreter.

> If you don’t need to be 100% Java then an alternative route would be to convert your
PostScript to PDF using Ghostscript and then you can use PDFBox to include that PDF image
on a page.