pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: Regarding PDFBox book or documentation
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2014 08:32:04 GMT
Hi

> On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 9:05 AM, Maruan Sahyoun <sahyoun@fileaffairs.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Yes, but the examples I see are very basic and the API's are quite
>>> extensive. In short PDFBox can do a lot, but I have no way of finding
>>> something quickly what I am looking for. I guess I have no option but to
>> go
>>> through the API's and the basic examples to do what I want. My tasks are
>> :
>>>
>>> 1) getting the data from the database(I have methods for that), format it
>>> in correct way and put it in PDF:
>>> 2) As the information in database can be small or big, I have to adjust
>>> that in PDF.
>>
>> Is that a forms filling application or do you have to output dynamic text
>> blocks?
>>
> Its a note taking application. And the output is the PDF should have all
> the notes as they look on the canvas, and in landscape mode.

PDFBox is a low level library if you want to create documents from scratch as there is no
concept such as text blocks, paragraphs ….

So also it's a doable job there might be better options.

Apache fop might be an option using XSL:FO to create the document.

Another option is to use https://github.com/GlenKPeterson/PdfLayoutManager which is built
on top of PDFBox and adds things like tables, line breaking, page breaking and such.

Some other projects (from github didn't check them) which could be used as a starting point

https://github.com/eduardohl/Paginated-PDFBox-Table-Sample
https://github.com/dhorions/boxable