pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From John Hewson <j...@jahewson.com>
Subject Re: Need support in QA'ing some of the pdf reports generated
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2014 17:01:05 GMT
Udhay,

If you’re wanting to analyse the visual appearance of a PDF then this can be
quite tricky, for example you’ll have to know how to identify which content is
the header and footer based on its location. PDF files are not structured like
e.g. HTML, so you have to examine the low-level drawing commands.

The PDFBox API provides classes which can be used to read the visual
contents, I’d recommend using the SVN trunk as it has new classes such
as PDFGraphicsStreamEngine which you can subclass. This sort of analysis
of PDF is not particularly easy and you will need to become familiar with the
details of PDF graphics, which are well documented in the ISO spec:

http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf <http://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/PDF32000_2008.pdf>

Also check out the PageDrawer which is a fully working subclass of
PDFGraphicsStreamEngine and shows how the graphics information can
be processed.

-- John