pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: Regarding PDFBox book or documentation
Date Fri, 07 Nov 2014 09:06:58 GMT
Hi,

Am 07.11.2014 um 09:50 schrieb Kernel freak <kernelfreak@gmail.com>:

> On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 9:32 AM, Maruan Sahyoun <sahyoun@fileaffairs.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi

>> are

>> it

>> text
>>>>
>>> Its a note taking application. And the output is the PDF should have all
>>> the notes as they look on the canvas, and in landscape mode.
>>
>> PDFBox is a low level library if you want to create documents from scratch
>> as there is no concept such as text blocks, paragraphs ….
>>
>> So also it's a doable job there might be better options.
>>
>> Apache fop might be an option using XSL:FO to create the document.
>>
>> Another option is to use https://github.com/GlenKPeterson/PdfLayoutManager
>> which is built on top of PDFBox and adds things like tables, line breaking,
>> page breaking and such.
>>
>> Some other projects (from github didn't check them) which could be used as
>> a starting point
>>
>> https://github.com/eduardohl/Paginated-PDFBox-Table-Sample
>> https://github.com/dhorions/boxable
>>

> Thank you. This helps a lot with the github links, you just saved me hours
> of work. Also, the XSL:FO is discontinued.

AFAIK the work on XSL:FO 2 is discontinued but that doesn't mean that XSL:FO as a whole is
discontinued. Apache FOP is very active as are commercial implementations of the standard.

> Do you believe the tasks I
> mentioned are achievable with something which is more active, like PDFBox.
> I checked IText, but it's paid.

don't know if paid vs. unpaid is a good measure to decide on a technology or a vendor. If
paid saves you a lot of time …

From what I understand the task you have at hand is achievable with PDFBox (and some additions
to get you started quicker - mentioned before), iText, fop and others such as a report writer
…

If you have a lot of text formatting, tables … something with a higher level api will help
you getting the job done quicker.

>> in

>>> PDF doesn't exist, I have to create it, images I have saved in the
>> system.
>>> I have a background image which needs to be loaded to give a shadow.

you
>> or

Java. I