pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Andreas Lehmkühler <andr...@lehmi.de>
Subject Re: PDF files not rendered before printed
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2014 09:58:14 GMT
Hi,

> Ingvar Larsson <ingvar.larsson@unigil-support.se> hat am 11. Oktober 2014 um
> 12:42 geschrieben:
>

> Hello,
>

> We have started to try to use PDFBox but when we print from Linux the file
> is printed as a text file giving us a huge pile with paper.
>
> The print works fine from Windows.
>

> Our Linux is Redhat 64 bits but without CUPS installed. The printing service
> is the old lpr daemon.
>
> Windows is Windows 7.
>
> Tried with PDFBox 1.8.7, Java 1.7.0_51 and latest Java 8.
>

> We are just trying to use the print tool out-of-the box like this:
>
> java -jar pdfbox-app-1.8.7.jar PrintPDF gfile-to-print.pdf
>

> Do we need to have cups installed instead of the old lpr that not supports
> PDF? I don't explain the reason to why we don't use cups. It's complicated,
> you know. :
If you don't configure anything for printing and are using lpr every application
has to create postscript or pcl to print anything else but raw text. PDFBox uses
the printer driver and can't output ps/pcl.

IMHO, you have to configure some printerdriver using e.g. CUPS or some
lpr-filter
to directly print the pdf using gs.

> Best regards
>
> Ingvar