pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: PDF fields become non editable in Adobe reader after writing to it using Pdfbox APIs
Date Thu, 21 Aug 2014 11:19:45 GMT
the form you are trying to fill is using what’s called Adobe Reader Extensions which enables
a user to fill form data using the free Adobe Reader and save the filled out form. Now when
you start filling out the data and do a document.save() you end up with a full save of the
document i.e. it’s content is regenerated. This makes the Reader Extensions Certificate
invalid.

What you need to do is an incremental save of the form data by appending the changes to the
original document. On higher level PDModel API PDFBox supports this only for digital signatures.
So you are somewhat on your own to implement this for form data too using the lower level
COS Model.

I’m happy to give you some further guidance if you are looking into implementing this. But
it will be a several days effort so not something which can be done in hours.

With kind regards

Maruan