pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From "Malle, Indra" <Indra.Ma...@bkfs.com>
Subject RE: Reg : Perpformance Issue
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2014 09:50:34 GMT
Hi Maruan,

Thanks a lot Maruan .

With kind regards
Indra Kumar Malle
Indra.malle@lpsvcs.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Maruan Sahyoun [mailto:sahyoun@fileaffairs.de]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 12:54 PM
To: users@pdfbox.apache.org
Subject: Re: Reg : Perpformance Issue

Dear Indra,

as nobody answered yet I can give you our experience but please understand that this might
be biased as I'm a committer at PDFBox and the result is based on the document content we
are merging.

For a project (a banking customer) we needed to post process (add paper handling marks) and
merge large batches of documents (up to 5000) with the merged PDF containing up to 30000 pages.
For various reasons an Open Source library had to be chosen but we did some testing using
closed source products.

At the time we did the tests PDFBox was 5-10% slower than iText and produced larger files
(10-15% larger). Both were considerably slower than the fastest closed source product (PDFLib)
we tested which also produced smallert files. The tests were done approx. 2 years ago and
both PDFBox and iText moved on. I don't have newer numbers for you.

We did choose iText but replaced that approx. half a year ago with PDFBox. That decision was
made mainly because of the Apache license and as PDFBox's functionality and performance was
sufficient. We are not using the PDFBox MergerUtility but a custom one which is tailored to
the content of the documents we are merging - e.g. there is no need to merge AcroForm content
but we do merge bookmarks.

I'd recommend that you give both iText and PDFBox a try - it shouldn't take you more than
an hour to have a simple test program for both to run against a testbed.

With kind regards

Maruan

Am 27.08.2014 um 14:30 schrieb Malle, Indra <Indra.Malle@bkfs.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I want to know performance issue between PDFBOX and iText. Which is the better for performance
while pdf files merging . can anyone help me?

> With kind regards
> Indra Kumar Malle
> Indra.malle@lpsvcs.com
>

> The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you
are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not
disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately.
In addition, please be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving
and review by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.

by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.