pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Daniel Gibby <dgi...@edirectpublishing.com>
Subject Re: TXT2PDF
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2014 16:13:47 GMT
It sounds to me that converting 2000 files in an hour is pretty good...
1.8 seconds per file.

My suggestion is put the files on more than one computer and run them
simultaneously. If you have a million files, you know it is going to
take a long time to create PDFs out of them.
You'll save much more time by splitting up the load into multiple
computers than you will with fiddling with anything below.

Thanks,
Daniel Gibby

  <mailto:dgibby@edirectpublishing.com>On 7/29/2014 9:15 AM, Basharat Ali wrote:

> Hi,
> I am using the PDFBOX utility to convert TXT to PDF files. I have developed script as
under:

> echo " Remove Old TXT File List " >> $LogFileDir/ConvertTxtToPdf.log
> rm $ConversionScriptDir/TxtFileList.out
> echo " Remove Old PDF File List " >> $LogFileDir/ConvertTxtToPdf.log
> rm $ConversionScriptDir/PDFFileslist.out
> echo " Make List of TXT Files we are going to convert to PDF " >> $LogFileDir/ConvertTxtToPdf.log
> ls -a $TxtFilesDir|grep .TXT > $ConversionScriptDir/TxtFileList.out
> echo " TXT File Listing is Complete " >> $LogFileDir/ConvertTxtToPdf.log
> echo " Reading TXT File Listing " >> $LogFileDir/ConvertTxtToPdf.log
> touch $ConversionScriptDir/PDFFileslist.out
> while read line;
> do
>       PDFOutFile=`echo $line|cut -d '.' -f 1`
>       java -jar $PdfConvertorDir/pdfbox-app-1.8.6.jar TextToPDF $PdfFilesDir/$PDFOutFile.PDF
$TxtFilesDir/$line
>       echo " TXT File Converted to PDF = $line " >> $ConversionScriptDir/PDFFileslist.out
> done < $ConversionScriptDir/TxtFileList.out
> echo " All TXT to PDF Conversion is completed successfully. Please verify the PDF Files
at:: $PdfFilesDir "

> This is taking about 1 hour to convert 2000 files. I have about 1 million such files
so it means it will take 500 hours. Can we have some quicker solution to convert the TXT files
to PDF in less time.