pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: Annotations not being rendered
Date Sat, 29 Mar 2014 06:54:07 GMT
Hi Stan,

where do you get the box (Adobe Reader, PDFBox, …) ? What is the expected result you are
looking for?

BR
Maruan

Am 29.03.2014 um 00:12 schrieb Stan Taylor <Stan.Taylor@j2.com>:

> Thanks!  If it's so vital, I'm surprised that the PDFBox own Annotation example doesn't
include it... What the easiest way to set a default appearance that allows the annotations
to display?

> I modified Annotation.java and tried creating a default appearance like this:
>
> 	PDAppearanceDictionary appearance = new PDAppearanceDictionary(new COSDictionary());
>
> 	... and then called setAppearance(appearance) on each of my PDAnnotation objects
>
> But this covers up the annotation's content with an opaque purple box.

stream for a highlight annotation is missing, it will simply generate one (there were versions
of Adobe Reader that even did this when there already was an appearance stream - Adobe Reader
then happily created one that didn't necessarily match the one that was actually there).

> Olaf
>

> Am 28 Mar 2014 um 23:00 schrieb Stan Taylor <Stan.Taylor@j2.com>:
>
>> Nope; I don't see any in PDFDebugger and programmatically, PDAnnotation.getAppearanceStream()
 and PDAnnotation.getAppearance() return null for all annotations obtained from the PDPage.

>> Stan

Attached here are two PDF samples created from the /examples/src/main/java/org/apache/pdfbox/examples/pdmodel/Annotation.java
example program from PDFBox 1.8.4 (stan1.pdf) and PDFBox 2.0.0 (stan2.pdf).

>>> Viewing these PDFs in Adobe Reader (Windows v10), I can see the annotations fine,
but the annotations don't show up when I use the PDFBox app's PDFReader feature from either
version of PDFBox.  The annotations are likewise not visible when I render the (first and
only) page to an image, via PDPage.convertToImage() in PDFBox 1.8.4 or via PDFRender. renderImageWithDPI()
in PDFBox 2.0.0.

>>> The original problem I was investigating was why annotations created by another
PDF package were not showing up, but now I am realizing that annotations generated by PDFBox's
own example program don't render either?!

>>> And ideas/recommendations?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Stan
>>>

>> Cloud Services for Business www.j2.com
>> j2 | eFax | eVoice | FuseMail | Campaigner | KeepItSafe | Onebox
>>

>> This email, its contents and attachments contain information from j2 Global, Inc.
and/or its affiliates which may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.
The information is intended to be for the addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee,
any disclosure, copy, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete
the original message and any copies. (c) 2013 j2 Global, Inc. All rights reserved. eFax, eVoice,
Campaigner, FuseMail, KeepItSafe, and Onebox are registered trademarks of j2 Global, Inc.
and its affiliates.