pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Stan Taylor <Stan.Tay...@j2.com>
Subject RE: Annotations not being rendered
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2014 23:12:30 GMT
Thanks!  If it's so vital, I'm surprised that the PDFBox own Annotation example doesn't include
it... What the easiest way to set a default appearance that allows the annotations to display?

I modified Annotation.java and tried creating a default appearance like this:

	PDAppearanceDictionary appearance = new PDAppearanceDictionary(new COSDictionary());

	... and then called setAppearance(appearance) on each of my PDAnnotation objects

But this covers up the annotation's content with an opaque purple box.

-----Original Message-----
From: Olaf Drümmer [mailto:olaflist@callassoftware.com]
Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 3:40 PM
To: users@pdfbox.apache.org
Cc: Olaf Drümmer
Subject: Re: Annotations not being rendered

No appearance stream means no rendered appearance, unless some process kicks in that generates
it.

Adobe Reader does have the habit to fill certain gaps, for example if the appearance stream
for a highlight annotation is missing, it will simply generate one (there were versions of
Adobe Reader that even did this when there already was an appearance stream - Adobe Reader
then happily created one that didn't necessarily match the one that was actually there).

Olaf

Am 28 Mar 2014 um 23:00 schrieb Stan Taylor <Stan.Taylor@j2.com>:

> Nope; I don't see any in PDFDebugger and programmatically, PDAnnotation.getAppearanceStream()
 and PDAnnotation.getAppearance() return null for all annotations obtained from the PDPage.

> Stan

here are two PDF samples created from the /examples/src/main/java/org/apache/pdfbox/examples/pdmodel/Annotation.java
example program from PDFBox 1.8.4 (stan1.pdf) and PDFBox 2.0.0 (stan2.pdf).

>> Viewing these PDFs in Adobe Reader (Windows v10), I can see the annotations fine,
but the annotations don't show up when I use the PDFBox app's PDFReader feature from either
version of PDFBox.  The annotations are likewise not visible when I render the (first and
only) page to an image, via PDPage.convertToImage() in PDFBox 1.8.4 or via PDFRender. renderImageWithDPI()
in PDFBox 2.0.0.

>> The original problem I was investigating was why annotations created by another PDF
package were not showing up, but now I am realizing that annotations generated by PDFBox's
own example program don't render either?!

>> And ideas/recommendations?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stan
>>

> Cloud Services for Business www.j2.com
> j2 | eFax | eVoice | FuseMail | Campaigner | KeepItSafe | Onebox
>

> This email, its contents and attachments contain information from j2 Global, Inc. and/or
its affiliates which may be privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.
The information is intended to be for the addressee(s) only. If you are not an addressee,
any disclosure, copy, distribution, or use of the contents of this message is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete
the original message and any copies. (c) 2013 j2 Global, Inc. All rights reserved. eFax, eVoice,
Campaigner, FuseMail, KeepItSafe, and Onebox are registered trademarks of j2 Global, Inc.
and its affiliates.