pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Jon Wu <...@wuservices.com>
Subject Re: [SURVEY] PDFBox Uses Cases
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2014 23:44:32 GMT
I use it as one piece that powers an online personalization engine that can
take any file from Adobe Illustrator such as a holiday card and allow you
to personalize it online in realtime. PDFBox is responsible for rasterizing
PDFs for consistent, fast, cross-browser viewing online. However, it's only
effective for text right now for me.

It would be great if it could rasterize PDFs containing photos, complex
clipping paths, vectors, and transparency with the fidelity of Adobe Reader
or Adobe's PDF Library (so that whatever is rasterized is basically
whatever would get printed on a commercial quality printer with a perfect
RIP).

This isn't an easy problem to solve as no PDF library I've used has been
able to handle gradients and transparency accurately (matching Adobe
Reader) and most libraries including Chrome's and OS X's PDF libraries fail
to render photos that have been clipped in certain ways such as the file
mentioned in this bug:
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=143310.