pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From "Starke Dr. Gernot" ...@gernotstarke.de>
Subject Re: [SURVEY] PDFBox Uses Cases
Date Mon, 06 Jan 2014 22:17:50 GMT
Hi pdfbox'ers,

thx for your great work, which I really appreciate!

I'm *very* new to pdfbox - used a lot of iTextPdf during the last years…

My usecases, current or in the near future:

1. modify existing pdf's ("stamping"), simple stuff like page- and chapter-numbers, headers,
copyright-notices and so forth.
2. add pages to existing documents (mainly to enable proper book-printing, so chapters always
start on odd-numbered pages)

1+2 are part of my opensource application pdfstamper (https://bitbucket.org/arc42/pdfstamper/overview),
respective the
corresponding command-line utility "pdfutil". Currently those rely on iTextPdf, but due to
lizensing issues I need to migrate
those to pdfbox.

3. add encryption, to achieve "copy-from-document-not-allowed" and other forms of restricted
access
4. add encryption together with user-specific header/footer to create *really* personalized
content

5. read metadata (like document-title) to compile table-of-content for a bunch of files

(3+4+5 are planned addon features for pdfstamper/pdfutil next releases)

6. compile an enhanced index from a set of pdf files ("concordance index").

7. (that's my personal goal for contributing to pdfbox asap): write up some documentation
on how to migrate from iTextPdf to pdfbox,
as this seems an issue in real-world projects.

From my personal viewpoint, having a *much* better documentation would lead to a much better
acceptance. The iTextPdf guys
invested heavily in their (Manning-) book and site documentation, providing many good and
working examples together with
source code… Such examples in readily accessible form would be awesome.

regards from Cologne,
Gernot

Am 06.01.2014 um 12:31 schrieb Maruan Sahyoun <sahyoun@fileaffairs.de>:

> Dear PDFBox users,
>
> we’d love to hear from you how you are using PDFBox in your PDF applications. Do you
use it for rendering, merging, creation … - what is the main application?

> As we are planning for PDFBox 2.0 there are already a lot of ideas what could be done
in that release. Your input will help us to better understand where we could put our focus.

> Please understand that we will take your input seriously but as this is a volunteers
effort we can not commit to a certain functionality. And if you’d like to help you’re
always welcome to do so.