pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Eliot Kimber <ekim...@rsicms.com>
Subject Re: Parsing a pdf file takes 3minutes
Date Mon, 23 Dec 2013 16:15:24 GMT
50 seconds to get the text from a 200-page PDF seems slow to me, based
just on intuition, rather than measurement. It suggests that there may be
some inefficiency in the code—I would at least check for that before
determining that the speed is the best possible.

Considering that I can render a 200-page document from XML source to PDF
in a minute or two using XSL-FO and complex XSLT processing, which is
pretty data processing intensive, it doesn’t seem like just extracting the
text from the PDF should take a comparable amount of time, although there
is some data processing involved there as well, of course (for example,
decoding all the encoded strings).

It would be useful to see if different Acrobat-provided PDF optimizations
make a difference, like making the PDF streaming enabled or turning off
compression.

Cheers,

Eliot
--