pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From "Ranganathan, Balaji" <Balaji.Ranganat...@apria.com>
Subject pdf to image conversion Web
Date Sat, 23 Nov 2013 02:34:19 GMT
Hi,

I am developing a java web application where use will upload a pdf file and the web application
will convert the pdf to png images and send embedded html email.

The pdf is around 6 pages, the application takes around 9 sec to convert the pdf to png using
PDPage.convertToImage method.

When I do a load test of the application with 10 concurrent users the page.convertToImage
take around 60 secs.,
The performance decreases further if the concurrent users are more.

I am using pdfbox 1.8.2

Below is the code I am using to convert to image

PDDocument document = PDDocument.loadNonSeq(new File(pdfFileName), scratchFile);
List<PDPage> pageList = document.getDocumentCatalog().getAllPages();
int pageSize = pageList.size();
String[] retVal = new String[pageSize];
int imgType = BufferedImage.TYPE_BYTE_BINARY;
int i = 0;

for (PDPage page : pageList) {
            BufferedImage image = page.convertToImage(imgType, 133);
            if (image.getGraphics() != null) {
                        image.getGraphics().dispose();
            }
            ImageIOUtil.writeImage(image, "png", prefix + i, imgType, 133);
            i++;

Let me know if there is any problem with the code. Below is the response out from profiling
web app

I user uploading 10 docs only by one (avg response around 9 sec)

[cid:image001.jpg@01CEE7B0.8B6BC800]

10 users uploading a doc at same time (avg response 66 secs)

[cid:image004.jpg@01CEE7B0.8B6BC800]

Let me know if I am doing any mistakes or converToImage can only be used in desktop applications?

Thanks
Balaji Ranganathan
Java developer

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail is intended only for the person(s) to whom it is addressed
and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary, privileged or otherwise protected
from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient, please (i) do not read, copy or use
this communication, or disclose it to others, (ii) notify the sender immediately by replying
to the message, and (iii) delete the e-mail from your system. Thank you.