pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Thomas Chojecki <i...@rayman2200.de>
Subject Re: WARNING: Did not found XRef object at specified startxref position
Date Sat, 02 Nov 2013 08:50:06 GMT

Zitat von Rodrigo Caniçali <rodrigo.canicali@yahoo.com.br>:

> Hi,
Hi Rodrigo,

> I found on a mailing list of 2012-jun-14 that this problem has been
> already discussed, but here is pretty different.
I think I found the discussion.

> I also get the warning "Did not found XRef object at specified
> startxref position xxx" when executing the main function
> of org.apache.pdfbox.ExtractText class. However, some PDF texts are
> ignored and are not printed on the output TXT file. These same texts
> are displayed by Acrobat Reader and can be copyed by the user as
> texts from this program.

Your document is broken and it work with Acrobat Reader, because he
isn't strict enough against the specification.

Many developer that try to create a pdf writer, test it against the
Acrobat Reader and does not follow always the specification. So the
reference is to create Acrobat Reader and not specification conformant
documents. This lead to the problem that 3rd party libraries like
pdfbox can't sometimes parse such documents.

In your case the xref table isn't there, where the parser supposing
it. If you can provide use such document, we can try to find the cause
of the problem and maybe fixing it.

> If the option "-nonSeq" is selected, then appears a
> "java.io.IOException: Error: Expected a long type, actual=..." which
> stops the text extraction.
Maybe you can post the first three lines from the stacktrace, this
will help debugging the problem.

> Please, is there any way to make it work?
It is nearly impossible reconstructing such cases. If you can provide
us more informations or maybe the document, it will help use improving
the parser, if possible.

We do our best to support as many document as we can, but in some
cases we need to be strict to support the existing fine parsing
documents. This problem is also one point on the agenda of the pdfbox
2.0.0 version.

> Thanks,
>
> Rodrigo

Best regards