pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: Is PDFBox capable of detecting features Acrobat Reader can highlight
Date Wed, 12 Jun 2013 19:52:57 GMT
Hi Stuart,

from the screenshot it's not clear how the PDF is layer out. In general there are some structures
like article threads which PDFBox supports for text extraction. Also PDFBox is able to handle
bookmarks, annotations …. although some of these informations are not taken into account
when using the standard ExtractText functionality. But it's possible to extend existing functions.
With the PDF as a sample it would be easier to understand which PDF features is used for the
box and give you some additional hints. As the mailing list doesn't allow for PDF attachments
please upload a sample at a public location if possible.

BR
Maruan Sahyoun

Am 12.06.2013 um 21:35 schrieb Stuart Coleman <stuart@eduvee.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I have a PDF file which I am trying to extract text from. Unfortunately the document
is non sequential and has various boxes with supplementary content. When I open the file in
Acrobat Reader, Reader seems to be able to distinguish these features and can surround them
with a blue bounding box. I would like to be able to extract text by area from within these
bounding boxes? Is PDFBox capable of detecting these features also?