pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: PDF to Image conversion
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 10:31:50 GMT
Hi,

the question if a PDF can be rendered successfully is not dependent on the fact that it's
a PDF/A file. In general PDFBox does a good job in converting a PDF to image and it supports
PDF/A as well as not PDF/A compliant files. There are some limitations though which may or
may not apply to you.

- there are limitations in PDFs render mode i.e. not all possible render modes are supported
- there are limitations in PDFs shading i.e. not all shadings are supported
- font rendering is dependent on awt i.e. PDFBox generates a font from embedded font which
is passed to awt. This works in most but not all cases.
- always test if e.g. Adobe Reader can display the file
….

If while rendering PDFBox hit's an (yet) unsupported feature it will be reported. If you come
across such a limitation please log an enhancement request in Jira (you should search first
if someone else already had a similar issue and add to that) so we can look into removing
the limitation. Of course if you are able to contribute that's even better.

For PDF/A (PDF/A-1b) PDFBox passes several test suites. So if you think you have a valid PDF/A
file and PDFBox complains we are very interested in finding out why this is the case. But
it's very likely that your file might not be PDF/A-1b compliant.

If you have specific questions/issues please feel free to ask.

Bottom line - I think PDFBox will help you doing the conversion. Your milage will vary dependent
on the files content.

BR
Maruan Sahyoun