pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Maruan Sahyoun <sahy...@fileaffairs.de>
Subject Re: PDF to Image conversion
Date Thu, 06 Jun 2013 14:52:40 GMT
Hi Ankur,

due to limitations of the mailing list the attachment didn't make it - could you upload to
a public site?

BR
Maruan

Am 06.06.2013 um 15:57 schrieb Ankur Tripathi <ankur@intelligrape.com>:

> Hi Maruan,
>
> I have successfully converted pdf to images using pdfbox. However there are couple of
attached pdf which does not shows up filled in details.

> In my use case i need to merge different pdf's and than convert to series of images.
Since these pdf are not converted to image properly i would like to avoid merge or fix image
generation. Can you please point me to right direction.

> Converting this pdf with imagemagick works fine but i would like to avoid os level tool.
>
> Really appreciate your help
>
> Thanks
> -Ankur Tripathi
>

> On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Maruan Sahyoun <sahyoun@fileaffairs.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the question if a PDF can be rendered successfully is not dependent on the fact that
it's a PDF/A file. In general PDFBox does a good job in converting a PDF to image and it supports
PDF/A as well as not PDF/A compliant files. There are some limitations though which may or
may not apply to you.

>> - there are limitations in PDFs render mode i.e. not all possible render modes are
supported
>> - there are limitations in PDFs shading i.e. not all shadings are supported
>> - font rendering is dependent on awt i.e. PDFBox generates a font from embedded font
which is passed to awt. This works in most but not all cases.
>> - always test if e.g. Adobe Reader can display the file
>> ….
>>
>> If while rendering PDFBox hit's an (yet) unsupported feature it will be reported.
If you come across such a limitation please log an enhancement request in Jira (you should
search first if someone else already had a similar issue and add to that) so we can look into
removing the limitation. Of course if you are able to contribute that's even better.

>> For PDF/A (PDF/A-1b) PDFBox passes several test suites. So if you think you have
a valid PDF/A file and PDFBox complains we are very interested in finding out why this is
the case. But it's very likely that your file might not be PDF/A-1b compliant.

>> If you have specific questions/issues please feel free to ask.
>>
>> Bottom line - I think PDFBox will help you doing the conversion. Your milage will
vary dependent on the files content.