pdfbox-users mailing list archives

From Chris J Lindberg <...@lindbergarts.com>
Subject Re: Error when opening multi-page PDF generated by PDFBox
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2013 14:33:43 GMT
Andreas,

I generated 3 test documents.

LoremIpsum.pdf a two page PDF document output from Lorem Ipsum web page.
http://ceratopsian.net/pdf/LoremIpsum.pdf

GeneratedLoremIpsum.pdf is a second PDF document generated using print to PDF from Microsoft
Word.
http://ceratopsian.net/pdf/GeneratedLoremIpsum.pdf

CombinedLoremIpsum.pdf was created using Acrobat Pro to open LoremIpsum.pdf then inserting
GeneratedLoremIpsum.pdf after the second page.
http://ceratopsian.net/pdf/CombinedLoremIpsum.pdf

I then ran the FindActionLinks code below stripped down to load then save a new PDF file against
all three files. The single documents, LoremIpsum.df and GeneratedLoremIpsum.pdf generated
files that can be opened without error.
http://ceratopsian.net/pdf/new-LoremIpsum.pdf
http://ceratopsian.net/pdf/new-GeneratedLoremIpsum.pdf

The file generated from the CombinedLoremIpsum.pdf generates an error when opened.
The file “new-CombinedLoremIpsum.pdf” could not be opened. It may be damaged or use a
file format that Preview doesn’t recognize.
http://ceratopsian.net/pdf/new-CombinedLoremIpsum.pdf

-Chris

On Mar 29, 2013, at 4:31 AM, Andreas Lehmkuehler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am 28.03.2013 05:43, schrieb Chris J Lindberg:
>> Additional information: The error occurred on Norwegian documents. I just tested
outputting two English Word documents as PDF then combined the two using Acrobat Pro then
ran the code below. The result gave me the same error when trying to open the output file
using Preview.

>> On Mar 27, 2013, at 6:05 PM, Chris J Lindberg wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I generated a multi page document using Acrobat Pro by opening one PDF document
then using insert from file to add a second page. My goal was to switch launch links to go
to links but early on I got an error when trying to open the PDFBox generated file with either
Preview or Acrobat:

>>> The file “NEW_AllPages.pdf” could not be opened.
>>> It may be damaged or use a file format that Preview doesn’t recognize.
>>>
>>> I stripped out all of the link code and ran the following where I load the input
file and output a file based on command line arguments.

>>> public class FindActionLinks {
>>>
>>>    private static void usage() {
>>>        System.err.println( "usage: " + FindActionLinks.class.getName() + " <input-file>
<output-file>" );
>>>    }
>>>
>>>    public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
>>>        PDDocument doc = null;
>>>
>>>        try {
>>>            if (args.length != 2) {
>>>                usage();
>>>            } else {
>>>                doc = PDDocument.load(args[0]);
>>>
>>>                doc.save( args[1] );
>>>            }
>>>        } finally {
>>>            if (doc != null) {
>>>                doc.close();
>>>            }
>>>        }
>>>    }
>>> }
>>>
>>> After running this code I the error was the same. I then ran the code on a single
PDF document that had no inserted pages from file. Is this a bug? Any idea on how to correct
this?